This website contains a database of burials in the 19 public cemeteries of Hillsborough, New Hampshire,
originally called "Bridge Village". The time period is from the first known burial in 1788 to the present,
last updated in June, 2013. The database is searchable by last name or cemetery name. The entire database
may be listed in alphabetical order by last name.
Search the database
A Brief History of Hillsborough
Hillsborough, often spelled Hillsboro, is a town in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire,
United States. First granted in 1735 by colonial governor of Massachusetts and New Hampshire
Jonathan Belcher as "Number Seven," one in a line of nine Massachusetts towns set up as defense
barriers against Indian attacks. The towns were renamed after the border between the two provinces
was fixed in 1739, placing the towns in New Hampshire. Settled in 1741, the town was granted in
1748 by Governor Benning Wentworth as "Hillsborough," named for Sir Wills Hill, Earl of Hillsborough.
It would be incorporated in 1772 by Governor John Wentworth.
The original settlement is now the hilltop village of Hillsborough Center where early settlers came from towns
in eastern Massachusetts and from the Scotch-Irish towns in southeastern New Hampshire.
Once the center of local life, Hillsborough Center retains the atmosphere of a 19th century New
England town, with its central Common, or public green, lost animal pound, horse sheds, school house,
and churches. Many of the original settlers and their descendents lie in the Center Cemetery.
The business and commercial center of the town, originally called "Bridge Village" was established several miles
down the road where a number of mills were established to take advantage of the water power of
the Contoocook River.
The "Contoocook Mills" are located on the south bank of the river, immediately
east of New Hampshire Route 149 beside one of the five scenic granite arch bridges located in Hillsborough.
The largest structure is referred to as the Main Mill and was constructed in 2 distinct
periods of time. The building is post and beam construction with the first and second
floors built around 1865. The structure on these floors were massive hand-hewn timbers,
whereas the 3rd and 4th floor were lighter saw-cut timbers added in the late 19th century.
Attached to the Main Mill building is a 3 story flat roof building which are joined, however
the construction of each were independent. The construction is also post and beam. This
building has many more windows which flood the interior with natural light.
The brick picker building built in 1846/46 originally was a grist mill and became part of
the mill at a later date. The brick boiler house dates to 1888 has the original boilers
bearing the name Hodge Boiler Works, East Boston, Massachusetts. The brick office building
built around 1865 has 2 full floors. The wood dye house was built 1865 is post and beam barn
construction with mortise and tenon joints. A part of the mill now contains modern apartments
overlooking the bridge and river.
The town also includes the Hillsborough Upper Village just past the Franklin Pierce Homestead, with it's
collection of 19th century houses and stores, many dating back to the time of Benjamin Pierce, who is
buried in the graveyard just before the village; Hillsborough Lower Village,
developed as a stopping point for stage coaches traveling the 2nd NH Turnpike. Many of the homes
here date back to the early 19th century. The first post office was established here.
The nearby Union Chapel is a noteworthy white clapboard church; and Emerald Lake Village,
a complex of summer residences clustered around Emerald Lake aka Gould Pond.
Hillsborough is the birthplace in 1804 of Franklin Pierce, 14th president of the United States, and
the only president from New Hampshire. The Pierce Homestead was built in 1804 by his father, Benjamin
Pierce, a general in the Revolutionary War, and twice governor of New Hampshire. Restored in 1925,
the home was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961. Listed on the National Register of
Historic Places, the house is today a museum owned by the state, and operated by the Hillsborough
Five granite arch bridges built during the 19th century in Hillsborough are designated as National
Historic Civil Engineering Landmarks.